Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

one small rant.

I'm pretty addicted to Pinterest. I usually spend some time every evening unwinding while mindlessly browsing random pins and I really love it. I've even found tons of very inspirational pins that I adore on there. I find myself looking at different inspirational running slogans, which inevitably brings up countless "thinspiration" pins.
Now this is where I'm going to rant for a minute...I find them disgusting. Now I'm overweight, there is no arguing that, but I'm also working my butt off to get fit and healthy. I'm disturbed by the sentiment that "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." That's just bullshit. There are thin women who are fit and healthy and are amazingly inspirational to me. But there are also women, more than likely the ones pictures in these "inspirational pins", who are either naturally thin or thin in a very unhealthy way. Until I started working out and running I assumed that my irrational anger toward that idea was mostly jealousy, but now I've lost 50 pounds and I feel the healthiest I ever have. I can pretty much say with certainty that I'm annoyed by the idea because it isn't rational. I've worked for a year now to lose weight and to keep it off. It isn't about just not eating a cookie. It's about changing how you view yourself, how you view the food you put in your body and the way it makes you feel.
Honestly, sometimes a cookie just feels really good.

Now that I'm done with my rant. I'd like to share some of my favorite inspirational pins.




While I LOATHE the signature (byebyechubbydays yuck) I love the concept.



Finishing the half will make me an official badass.



I heard Jennifer Hudson say the other day that whenever she gets the slightest urge to exercise she gets up and does it immediately without thought because otherwise the task gets daunting and overwhelming. I loved that because it is so true. It takes 2 minutes to get ready so just get out there and go when you have the smallest opportunity.



I'll be lapping them slowly, but I'm doing it. One little mile at a time!



This is one is my absolute favorite. I will be telling myself this for every single mile of the half marathon.








2 comments:

Jenna Lee said...

You are so beautiful! I love you! I am also very proud of you. I do not have the motivation to do what you have been doing and in my eyes you are a super BAD ASS! Julie! YOU KICK BUTT!

Love your biggest fan!

Laura said...

I wish we were in the same town so I could give you the BIGGEST high five right now. This is why I love your blog- you are so real and SO SO motivating! Oh my gosh. What can't you be in VA so we can run together!?!?