Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

wednesdays are for pinning

When I was a little girl, all of my aunts were stay at home moms. For us kids that meant that after the 1/2 day of school on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving was spent at Grandma's house preparing pies for Thanksgiving. In '99 when my Grandmother passed away the tradition continued, but everyone came to my house. We still make pie crust pin wheels with cinnamon and sugar as we used to with Grandma, and we even taught my cousins who didn't ever get to meet her or the ones that were too young to remember the tradition how to do it.
Now that we're all old, most of us work the day before Thanksgiving. So pie day will be a little later in the day today. When everyone gets here between 4-5, we will have the ovens cranked up on high, and my house will fill with the smells of the holidays. I'll probably start baking before they get here. Some pies (like pumpkin) take so little prep but have such a long cooking time that it is just easier to do it earlier. I'll also be preparing a brine for my lovely bird that has been defrosting since Monday nicely in my refrigerator. We'll prep the ingredients for the stuffing, I'll make cranberry sauce and some frosted cranberries for snacking and we'll have Christmas music playing the whole time.
For today's link up with Michelle from The Vintage Apple, I'm pinning all of the things I've been looking forward to this week. I hope all of your preparations are going smoothly and you have a wonderful day before Thanksgiving.



Last week they were teasing us that it might snow on Wednesday, I was kind of thrilled about the idea. I'm sure no one else was, especially with everyone's travel plans, but I love snow...especially when I'm prepping for Thanksgiving and Christmas



This picture made me teary when I saw it on Pinterest. So many memories of baking with Grandma. Thanksgiving was definitely her holiday and I miss her terribly. But I'm so thankful that I had the opportunity to create those memories with her.


I have a beautiful Thanksgiving table waiting for me Tomorrow.


I had to include this one too, I was too in love with the polka dots.


I'm looking forward to spending the day with my extended family tomorrow. I'm so lucky to have such a huge supportive family. I love each and every one of them!


Black Friday. Ok this made me laugh so hard. This is definitely me.

Source: google.com via Rachel on Pinterest

Christmas tree hunting is a big tradition for us, it will happen Sunday morning at 10am. Watch out Battenfeld Tree farm, we're invading!! (they're well aware - we definitely call ahead to see if they can handle our special type of crazy!)


Sigh. This picture makes me miss my dad.

Source: google.com via Abbey on Pinterest

While tree hunting, we tailgate. This crowd is only slightly larger than my family!



No comments: