Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

learning to love

Hello my good friends! I'm so sorry I missed you yesterday! I got overwhelmed over the last few days and just didn't have time to write a new post. But now I'm nicely back into the swing of things and I'm writing this up while sitting in my gym clothes getting ready to go work my tush off with a killer elliptical (ok really it's an arc trainer) workout.
I have been trying really really hard to teach myself to like oatmeal. Everyone raves about it and the health benefits and so on. My parents are not oatmeal people to say the least. My dad's idea of a daily breakfast food would be a giant bowl of rice crispies with a ton of extra sugar and a ton of milk. Growing up mom would drink coffee and have a cigarette (yuck!!! so glad she finally quit! Go mom!!!). So we generally just had cereal. The texture of oatmeal takes some serious getting used to. It is so....gummy?
Well the good news is that I have finally found a method and recipe that I am completely in love with!


Pumpkin Oatmeal
1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
2 dashes cinnamon

Cook oats in water for the first 20 of the 25 minute cooking time. Add brown sugar and cook for the remaining 5 minutes. Add in pumpkin and cinnamon. Cook until heated through.

No comments: