This was the pin-spiration for the dessert:
Really it was completely delicious. The cake by itself was totally addicting. Every time I walked by the leftovers I cut myself a tiny slice and munched on it. I was really happy with the results. I could have whipped the egg whites a little bit longer and it would have been a little fluffier, but it was delicious. The recipe I used said to add the lemon juice, zest, vanilla and cream of tartar before the egg whites were at stiff peaks and I don’t think that was the best plan. I couldn’t get them to whip all the way up to firm peaks, even beating them for 15 or so minutes.
Lemony Angel Food Cake
(adapted from Martha Stewart)
1 cup sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
12 large egg whites
2 tablespoons lemon zest
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 12” cake pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift together cake flour and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then add in lemon zest, lemon juice, cream of tartar and vanilla extract. Beat for an additional 1-2 minutes until soft peaks return.
- Add the rest sugar gradually while beating to firm peaks but not stiff peaks.
- Fold in the flour/sugar mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 40-50 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.